This year, make 2014 the best year yet. Here are 5 helpful fitness tips on how to make the best out of your year.
- Don’t wait, Do it now. Are you still waiting for the “right” day to start your resolution? If that is the case, then you have already set yourself up for failure. According to the Journal of Clinical Psychology, of the 40% of Americans that make resolutions, only 8% achieve their goals! Get a gym membership, find a trainer, or join a group class. Be proactive NOW.
- Six packs are made in the kitchen. Hitting the gym will help to see those abs, but the true six-pack is created in the kitchen. Fitness and nutrition go hand-in-hand. Food preparation is critical to achieve the results you strive for. Set one day aside to prep for the week. Bring your lunch 2-3x/week and eat out less. Your waist and wallet will thank you.
- Tell your friends and family. Make yourself accountable. Tell all of your family and friends your fitness goals and have them hold you accountable for when you may drift off course. Better yet, go to the gym or make a meal together.
- Try something new! Have you been doing the same workout routine with minimal results? As you get bored with the same routine, so does your body. Cross training is great for any athlete. Having the proper balance of strength and flexibility will keep you well rounded and injury free. Always pumping the iron? Try Pilates or Yoga to increase your flexibility and mobility. Always on the treadmill? Try some resistance training or TRX suspension training to mix up your routine.
- Track your success. There are hundreds of fitness apps available today, pick one that works for you. It is a great way to track your fitness and nutrition all in one location. By tracking your progress, you will be more inclined to continue. Want to go old school? Pick up that pencil and journal your workout and meals for the day. Make an effort to improve every day.